Will there ever be a Vaccine to HIV?

Naomi Gayle Housman nhousma at EMORY.EDU
Mon Feb 27 04:44:15 EST 1995

Dear M.C. Bean et al:

Unfortunately I would have to agree with your assessment with regards to
the development of a prophyllactic HIV-1 vaccine.  I don't think it will
work for similar reasons that you have already outlined.  However, there
is a slim, albeit very slim, chance that we may be able to generate an
effective vaccine that will protect fetuses from becoming infected in
utero by generating a vaccine that ellicits an effective immune response
inside the pregnant mother before transimssion.  This is a tall order for
the best of science to fill but it still remains possible.

I think this virus is proving to be extremely wiley and obstinate in its
incessant march towards its goal- more of itself and less of us.

Yours in Hope,

Chad Womack
Div. HIV/AIDS
Immunology Branch