Immune Downregulation rationale.

Mario Roederer Roederer at Darwin.Stanford.Edu
Tue Feb 28 12:41:52 EST 1995

In article <3iu7p2$8qr at usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu>, karol+ at pitt.edu (Karol W.
Gieszczykiewicz) wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am a student at the University of Pittsburgh. I am working on a project
> whose topic is the following:
>
> What is the adaptive value/evolutionary rationale for the net suppression
> of immune function in an organism exposed to STRESS?
>
> I know that depending on the type and intensity of stress, as well as
> latency before assaying of immune function, and other factors, the
> immune response might actually be upregulated.
>
> I would appreciate any comments, suggested readings, thoughts, etc. from
> all you knowledgable Netpeople.    thanks
>

> --

I think that stress is a response to a "fight or flight" situation--one in
which all a body's metabolic energies should be directed to fighting or
fleeing (immediate threat), not to gearing up B and T cells to fight off
an infection (which might be dealt with later without incurring death).

mr