Will there ever be a Vaccine to HIV?

Duane James Funk umfunk15 at cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Feb 28 19:27:52 EST 1995

I have to agree that there will not be a vaccine for several reasons:

	1.  The virus genome is RNA, which has a mutation rate that is
	    several times higher than DNA viruses.

	2.  The gp120 protein has a variable region that exhibits
	    variability normally seen in Immunoglobulins.  This
  	    variability occurs in a part of gp120 that is not
            necessary for entry into cells.

	3.  The virus can remain dormant and has immunosupressive
    	    activities (for eg. it decreases MHC I expression).

and most importantly:
	4.  Since HIV cannot infect monkeys (standard vaccine testers)
who will test a vaccine even if one is available?  The infectious dose of
HIV is estimated to be very low.

"I'll be brief and short and to the point..."
	University of Manitoba; Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada