? for HIV/Immunology friends

Shahram Mori smori at nmsu.edu
Tue Feb 28 22:54:13 EST 1995

Dear immuno/HIV netters,
I know that In vivo there has not been any evidence of HIV infection of CD8+ve
cells. These are the results from Dr Levy's lab who couldn't isolate HIV
genome from CD8 cells of HIV-infected individuals using PCR. Also it is known
that CD8+ve cells isolated from HIV-infected individuals die in vitro together
with CD4+cells by apoptosis after activation.
My 1st question is 1) Do you believe that CD8+ve cells are infectable by HIV?
2) How is it that they die by apoptosis [ especially if they are not
infected]?
Are CD* cells dependant on cytokine factors for viability which may be
abnormal due to infection of T-helper and macrophages?
Please post so that everybody can get involved.
Cheers
 --
Shahram Mori					   _/\_
Program in Molecular Biology			  _\  /_