Crossed Immunoelectrophoresis

C Webster mphcw at gps.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jan 9 08:18:08 EST 1995

Dear all,

I am having problems in setting up a crossed immunoelectrophoreis method for
the determination of the glycoforms of aciod glycoprotein. I am currently using
concanavalin A in the first dimension of the method. I believe this is where I
am experiencing problems as I am only getting one peak (instead of the usual 3
to 4) in the second dimension.

My questions relate to the use of concanavalin A in this system.

1. How do you add the con A to the agarose. Is it added directly as a powder or
is it made up in a solution ? if so what solution and what concentration.

2. Is the temperature of the molten agarose important when adding the con A. If
so what temperature would I add the con A ?

Finally are there any other possible methods I could use to quantify these
glycoforms.

Any references or actual methods would be gratefully revieved.

I would be extremely grateful for any help regarding my problem.

TIA

Craig Webster

--
Mr Craig Webster, Department of Chemical Pathology and Immunology
The Old Medical School, Thoresby Place, Leeds, LS2 9JT
Tel:- 0532 923285                    email:- craigw at pathology.leeds.ac.uk
Fax:- 0532 335672                            mphcw at gps.leeds.ac.uk