Crossed Immunoelectrophoresis

C Webster mphcw at
Mon Jan 9 08:18:08 EST 1995

Dear all,

I am having problems in setting up a crossed immunoelectrophoreis method for
the determination of the glycoforms of aciod glycoprotein. I am currently using
concanavalin A in the first dimension of the method. I believe this is where I
am experiencing problems as I am only getting one peak (instead of the usual 3
to 4) in the second dimension.

My questions relate to the use of concanavalin A in this system.

1. How do you add the con A to the agarose. Is it added directly as a powder or
is it made up in a solution ? if so what solution and what concentration.

2. Is the temperature of the molten agarose important when adding the con A. If
so what temperature would I add the con A ?

Finally are there any other possible methods I could use to quantify these

Any references or actual methods would be gratefully revieved.

I would be extremely grateful for any help regarding my problem.

Craig Webster

Mr Craig Webster, Department of Chemical Pathology and Immunology
The Old Medical School, Thoresby Place, Leeds, LS2 9JT
Tel:- 0532 923285                    email:- craigw at
Fax:- 0532 335672                            mphcw at