selectins ...

Aaron Warnock awarnock at cmgm.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 17 16:05:51 EST 1995

In article <3ffqj5$ga1 at newsbf02.news.aol.com> you write:

>What is the potential for utilization of sialylated lewis x as a blocker
>for L-selectin.  I know it is the ligand for E  & P selectin but does
>anyone know if it can be used   for L-selectin ...

Yes, it can be a ligand for L-selectin.

> purification

Don't know. Wouldn't think anyone would have tried this, as making the
neoglycogonjugates is much more difficult and expensive then MAb
affinity chromatography!

> blocking

Well, yes to a certain extent. Depends somewhat on the nature of your
experiment, and the way the your carbohydrate is presented.

> in-vitro function!!

This follows from above. sLex is not, however, the best ligand, nor
blocker of L-selectin. The natural ligand(s) is(are) probably (well,
ok, almost definately) more complex as well.

Later,

Aaron

--
"Nothing more is needed to destroy a man, than the conviction that his
life's work is useless."  -Antonin Artaud

awarnock at cmgm.stanford.edu (R. Aaron Warnock)