cytokines & taxonomy ?

Steve Hopkins shopkins at fs1.ho.man.ac.uk
Tue Jan 24 13:43:34 EST 1995

>I was wondering why cytokines, and lymphokines for that matter, are not
>usually considered as a functional part of cell-to-cell communication, at
>least not in the textbooks I have used.  Is the distinction between
>hormones and -kines merely taxonomic?  Or is there a different mechanism
>for -kines, for instance no secondary messangers or specific receptors as
>there are for hormones?

>AB DiBernardo
>University of Pennsylvania

I don't see any distinction, and they are considered a functional part of
cell-cell communication, especiially in immunology (What textbooks are you
reading?). Cytokines ARE hormones; just a sub-category. It's the definition of
hormone that is more difficult (for discussion see introduction of V.C.
Medevei's book 'A history of endocrinology' (1982), MTP press. ) The
distinguishing feature of cytokines is that they maintain local tissue
homeostasis and function of tissues, rather than systemic homeostsis and
fnction of the organism, which is the primary role of endocrine (the other
major category) hormones.  (Cytokines are also not produced by speciaised
organs.) Of course the edges of this categorisation are blurred (e.g. IL-6,
M-CSF,IGF, neurotrophins?,) since natural selection didn't follow any rules
and, unfortunately, immunologists, endocrinologists and neuroscientists havn't
communicated too well until recently, so there is some dispute about
boundaries, but fits pretty well. (?)

Steve Hopkins
Manchester