IMMUNOLOGY

GEORGE CARLONE GMC3 at CIDDBD2.EM.CDC.GOV
Tue Jan 24 08:52:10 EST 1995

We have been interested in developing a complement dependent
opsonophagocytic assay for Neisseria meningitidis serogroups A and C.
Our problem is that when we add a complement source (baby rabbit) we
get (as expected) bactericidal killing.  We have tried to remove
one of the terminal complement components but without much success (can
remove component(s) but the removal process reduces the lytic complement
activity when we reconstitute with the purified complement component).
We have had success using a serum from a C7 defficient patient, however,
this complement source is in limited supply.

QUESTIONS:

1. is anyone else working on this?  have you had success?
2. is there a method to remove terminal components in human sera
   that does not reduce complement activity when the component is added
   back? can this method be used for large vols. (600 ml)?
3. did I miss something in the literature?
4. any ideas or suggestions?

P#: (404)639-3622
F#: (404)639-3115

George