oral tolerance vs immunity

Mike Preston preston at warren.med.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 7 16:34:57 EST 1995

In article <3thmep$135 at mail>, bLangridge at ccmail.llu.edu (Bill Langridge)
wrote:

>  I am interested in making a vaccine in plants for the development of
> oral immunity. It seems that a small amount of antigen will cause
> immunotolerance rather than immunity which could also be useful. Can
> someone tell me if there are accepted amounts of an antigen which will
> induce a systemic immunity rather than immunotoleramce?

Just an additional question and comment.  What is the immune response that
you are looking for?  Is an antibody response going to be effective for
what you want your vaccine to do, or does a TH1 type inflammatory T cell
response constitute "protective immunity?"
	Oral tolerance most often refers to T cell tolerance (TH1).  The
mechanisms of suppression, anergy vs active supression, depend on the
antigen and dose (high doses can also induce oral tolerance) and other
factors. You can still induce strong serum and mucosal antibody responses
following oral administration of antigen even when tolerance in the TH1
type T cell compartment is induced.
	Thus, if an antibody mediated effect is what you are looking for, you are
more likely to be succesful with oral immunizations .

Mike Preston

preston at warren.med.harvard.edu