immunologist seeks research position

Prasad S. Turaga turaga at THORIN.UTHSCSA.EDU
Sat Jul 8 14:21:53 EST 1995

Dear netters,
   I am an immunologist with 5 years of postdoctoral fellow experience and
am looking for a research position ina challenging environment.  I am
enclosing my resume herewith, which should give a good idea about my
background.  I am interested in inflammation/immune responses, host-
pathogen interactions, diagnostic and vaccine development, cytokine
biology, antibody isotype regulation.  Please feel free to contact me for
further information.
Sincerely,
Prasad Turaga

                               RESUME

Prasad S. D. Turaga, Ph.D.

Department of Microbiology
U. T. Health Science Center
San Antonio, TX - 78284
(210) 567-3963  (work)
(210) 341-8987 (home)
e mail: turaga at thorin.uthscsa.edu

  developing diagnostics and vaccines, elucidation of immuno-
  pathology during infections, isolation and characteriza-
  tion of bacterial and parasitic antigens, developing
  hamster and mouse monoclonal antibodies.

Personal: Permanent Resident of USA, married, willing to relocate

Education: 1989  Ph. D.  Microbiology.  Oregon State University,
  Corvallis, OR - 97331
  1982  M. Pharm.  Andhra University, Waltair, India
  1979  B. Pharm.  Kakatiya University, Warangal, India

Research/Professional Experience:

Nov 1989- Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Microbiology, The University of
present  Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX - 78284

 Project I:
 Goal of the project:  Delineate the mechanisms of andibody isotype
 switching, characterize the B cells that are committed to
 switching and study the influence of interleukins on the process.

 . Determined the frequency of cells expressing transcripts for
 interleukins and immunoglobulins using in situ hybridization
 methodology.
 . Developed assays (ELISA and bioassay) to estimate
 the levels of different interleukins in T cell lines generated from
 mice infected with cestode parasite.
 . Performed studies involving fractionation of B cells depending
 on density and size (elutriation) and characterized their phenotype
 using FACS.
 . Functional studies were done on such cells for the expression of
 germline transcripts for different immunoglobulins.
 . Developed hamster anti-mouse monoclonal antibodies against T
 cells in pursuit of novel markers.
 . Estimated frequencies of cells expressing germline gamma1
 transcripts from FACS sorted B cell populations utilizing RT-PCR.

 Project II

 Goal of the project:  Isolate, characterize antigens from T. solium
 in pursuit of diagnostic markers.

 . Isolated different antigenic components from the cystecerci.
 . Raise monoclonal antibodies against some of these antigens in
 pursuit of diagnostic tool(s).

Apr 84-89 Graduate Research Assistant, Dept. of Microbiology, Oregon   Sept
  State University, Corvallis, OR - 97331

 Goal of the project:  To develop vaccine candidate(s) against
 Renibacterium salmoninarum, that causes devastating losses among
 hatchery reared salmonid populations.

 . Performed physical and functional characterization of soluble
 antigen derived from a bacterial pathogen.
 . Developed sensitive diagnostic assays for the disease
 (ELISA and Western Blot) using the soluble antigen as the marker.
 . Characterized the protease activity associated with the
 bacterial antigen and its role in biological activity.
 . Developed assay system to demonstrate for the first time in
 salmonids, antigen:antibody complexes in infected animals, both
 in serum and in tissues (immunohistochemistry).
 . Developed a vaccine candidate with soluble antigen coupled to
 different adjuvants via chemical coupling methods.
 . Developed assays (chemiluminescence) to assess the phagocytic
 capacity of cells from animals.

Professional Affiliations:

 American Association of Immunologists
 American Association for the Advancement of Science
 Sigma Xi

*  Prasad S.D. Turaga, Ph.D.          Internet:  turaga at uthscsa.edu  *
*  Dept. of Microbiology                                             *
*  UTHSCSA                                                           *
*  7703 Floyd Curl Dr.                                               *
*  San Antonio, Tx 78284                                             *
*                                      Voice: (210) 567-3963         *
*                                      Fax:   (210) 567-6456         *
***************Immunologists do it with great affinity****************