oral tolerance vs immunity

Gregory R. Harriman gregoryh at bcm.tmc.edu
Wed Jul 12 13:45:15 EST 1995

In article <3ts200$cid at netnews.upenn.edu>, David Peritt
<Peritt_d at a1.mscf.upenn.edu> wrote:

> In article <gregoryh-0807951317020001 at 128.249.14.251> Gregory R.
> Harriman, gregoryh at bcm.tmc.edu writes:
> >>         Oral tolerance most often refers to T cell tolerance (TH1).
> The
>
> I have never heard that TH1 cells were the mediators of oral tolerance.
> In fact it is more of a TH2 like response or as some investigators
> suggest TH3 (which is high TGFb producer).

     I think you may have gotten confused.  First of all, I didn't write
that statement.  I was responding to that statement which was previously
made in a post by Mike Preston.  The exact statement by him was:

> Just an additional question and comment.  What is the immune response that
> you are looking for?  Is an antibody response going to be effective for
> what you want your vaccine to do, or does a TH1 type inflammatory T cell
> response constitute "protective immunity?"
>         Oral tolerance most often refers to T cell tolerance (TH1).  The
> mechanisms of suppression, anergy vs active supression, depend on the
> antigen and dose (high doses can also induce oral tolerance) and other
> factors. You can still induce strong serum and mucosal antibody responses
> following oral administration of antigen even when tolerance in the TH1
> type T cell compartment is induced.

     Second as pointed out by Ralph Bernstein, he probably was refering to
the fact that Th1 T cells are tolerized not that they are doing the
tolerizing.

-Greg Harriman