TH1 vs. TH2 Redux

bogleb aguldo at delphi.com
Wed Jul 26 03:58:44 EST 1995

	Just a note to thank those of you who responded to my inquiry about
TH1/TH2 immune response, whether by email, by telephone, etc.  I just read
Romagnani's review in Int Arch Allergy Immunol 98 (1992), and although it
helped, in a way I felt more confused than before.  I see I've got a lot
more reading to do in regard to cytokines before I can hope to start pulling
the bigger picture together.  I will, however, retain your email addresses,
etc., and you may yet receive a follow-up from me.
	A couple more very general questions.
	(1) At what point does a CD4+ cell commit to a TH1 vs. a TH2
response?  Does it "commit," or is the process reversible?
	(2) When I took an intro immunology course way back in '90 or so,
I remember learning that class I MHC presents endogenous self or tumor/viral
peptides, which are recognized by TCR of CD8+ cell, which then is cytotoxic
to the APC and other cells with the same antigen (to oversimplify to a
ridiculous degree).  Where does the CD4+ cell involved in a TH1 response
fit in to this scheme?  Do both the CD4+ cell and the cytotoxic CD8+ cell
have TCR that recognize the foreign antigen?

Bob R. Bogle, MT(ASCP),CLS(NCA)		Voice:   (520) 694-6107
Dept. Clinical Pathology		E-mail:  aguldo at delphi.com
HLA/Immunology Laboratories		The views expressed herein are my own
University Medical Center		and should in no way be construed to
1501 N. Campbell Avenue			represent those of U.M.C.
Tucson, AZ  85724					-- THE MANAGEMENT
                   VVAT -- VOLUNTARY VASECTOMY AFTER TWO!