re real function, naive bcells

David Peritt Peritt_d at a1.mscf.upenn.edu
Thu Jun 8 08:38:28 EST 1995

In article <3r4poq$q71 at oac4.hsc.uth.tmc.edu> bryan fisk,
bryan_fisk at gyn.mda.uth.tmc.edu writes:

>For peptides from the idiotypic region to be presented by MHC class I or
>II molecules it must a) possess the proper binding MHC binding motif and
>b) have a sufficiently high binding affinity and/or be present in high
>enough concentration to effectively compete with other self-peptides.
true
>Thus, it would appear doubtful that   EVERY   B-cell  would effectively
>present idiotypic peptides.
true
snip
 Finally, it seems of very low probability that a single,
non-proliferating, naive B-cell will encounter a cognate T-cell in the
periphery.

True

But I am confused on another issue.  Why are we tolerant to idiotypic
peptides being presented in inflammatory sites with all the proper T cell
help etc..  or are we not tolerant?  Is this a downregulatory mechanism?