Minority preferences

Anton Scott Goustin asg at cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Thu Jun 15 19:22:09 EST 1995

In your article, you <jtidball at physci.lifesci.ucla.edu> state:

" I still have hope that things are getting
better.  I think I heard that they are awarding around 30% of the R01
applicants with grants. "

What kind of dope have you been smoking?  Try more like 9%!  The
President of FASEB has recently sent a letter to members that Rep.
Kasich in the US House of Representatives and Sen. Hank Brown
(R-Colorado) have sponsored bills that would bring that number down as
low as 1%!!!!!!  Wake up and smell the garbage!  It's a foul odor coming
from the freshmen we elected to Congress in Fall 1994.  Most of the
supporters of NIH have either died or retired in the last 10 years.
They are too gentle to put up with the style of mud-slinging that elects
these Philistines that typify the Class of '94 (Newt Wave).  There are
possibly only three friends of NIH left:  Senators Hatfield (R-OR),
Kennedy (D-MA) and Harkin (D-IA).  Most of the Republicans and many of
the Democrats side with the Philistines who feel that the US already has
too damn much technology and research as it is.  They think we were
better off in the "good old days" of ignorance, disease, and stupidity.
(These are the same guys who deny that our foodstuffs are more tainted
with toxins now.  They believe that science is just better at DETECTING
toxic chemicals, and the solution is thus to dull the vision of the
scientists.)  Focus your energy on political renaissance in this
country, or forget a future as a free-living, free-thinking scientist.
In Newt's America, scientists will seek "patrons" in the private sector
for their funding.  Translation:  the private sector will dictate that
scientists provide the "truth" they feel is fit to print.  George Orwell
was an idiot to picture Big Brother as a fusion between Hitler and
Stalin.  Big Brother in Newt's America will have a nice smile, like the
tobacco lobbyists who still think that nicotine is not an addictive
drug.  They know exactly how to lie through their (perfectly-groomed)
teeth.

Wake up!