Will there ever be a Vaccine to HIV?

Carlton Hogan carlton at eelpout.ccbr.umn.edu
Sun Mar 5 21:21:57 EST 1995

In article <3j7rih$kni at netnews.upenn.edu> David Peritt <Peritt_d at a1.mscf.upenn.edu> writes:
(snip)

>PS.  All this media hype on IL2 is just that.

Agreed. This data is basically the same stuff that Cliff Lane has
underwhelmed any number of conferences in the last year. One ofd the most
disturbing thing about this work is that **clinical** data is not
available: in some cases simply because ni provision was made for it.

So we are left with the tautology that a cytokine that increases CD4
counts does, indeed, raise CD4 counts. It would be darned nice to know
if this is of overall benefit to the participants, especially given the well
documented viral activity spike accompanying IL-2 administration. Another
concern that I have that is pure speculation at this time is that
there is the possibility that specific clonal populations are depleted
in HIV disease: amping up the proliferation of what is left may aggravate
a pre-existent imbalance.

(definitely *not* speaking for NIAID or the U on this one...)

 |   Carlton Hogan  (carlton at gopher.ccbr.umn.edu)                         |
 |   Community Programs for Clinical Research on AIDS Statistical Center  |
 |   Coordinating Center for Biometric Research                           |
 |   Division of Biostatistics, School of Public Health                   |
 |   University of Minnesota                                              |
 |   2221 University Ave SE, Suite 200          Voice: (612) 626 8899     |
 |   Minneapolis  MN 55414                      FAX: (612) 626 8892       |