Billions of viruses and new CD4+ cells daily

JAF at UNCVX1.OIT.UNC.EDU JAF at UNCVX1.OIT.UNC.EDU
Sat Mar 18 08:55:05 EST 1995

I heard a nice talk by Lishan (sp?) Su from Systemics last week which
gave pretty good evidence in scid hu mice that the presecne of HIV
infected cells in the thymus causes a selective induction of apoptosis in
UNINFECTED CD4 bearing cells in the thymus.  If this is really true it
accounts for the ability of HIV to deplete the CD4 pool even when most of
the cells are not infected.
Jeff Frelinger