CD8+ive T cell death in HIV infection

Naomi Gayle Housman nhousma at EMORY.EDU
Tue Mar 21 04:14:11 EST 1995

On Tue, 21 Mar 1995, Laszlo Radvanyi wrote:

> Christopher;
>
>      I read your suggestion that CD4+8+ cells may be targets of HIV
> infection.  There are a number of problems with this hypothesis:
>
> 1.  Very few CD4+8+ T cells reside in the periphery, especially in
> adults.  There are a significant number of immature double positive
> thymocytes that escape into the periphery, but usually this is found only
> during the period shortly after birth- a number of studies
> peripheral immune system development in mice have shown this.

This may be true, however, it is clear from Fauci et al's data that HIV
does have the ability to infect CD4+8+(double positives) in vitro.
Additionally, Fauci et al have shown that HIV replicates like mad in
lymph nodes and spleen during all stages of the diseases.  From an
immunological stand point, it is not at clear how and where CD4+ T cells
develop in the mature adult (that is post- thymus involution).  However,
if we take the recent data presented by George Shaw et al, and David Ho
et al, with regards to HIV replication and steady state models, it is
clear that CD4+ T cells are constantly being renewed (although I'm not so
sure at the rate that they discuss).  So the question remains, where are
these CD3+4+ T cells coming from and is there a pool(s) of precursor
lymphocytes, perhaps, double positives, that exists that becomes depleted as the
disease progresses?  My own personal bias is that there is a pool of
precursor lymphocytes, perhaps located in the gut, lymph nodes, and
spleen, a part of which may be double-positives.

> 2.  Infection of the thymus by HIV is generally considered a late stage
> event in the pathophysiology of HIV-AIDS.  In fact, due to the failure of
> the primary immune response to adequately keep the virus in check, the
> virus replicates in the lymph nodes during the so-called "latent phase"
> of the disease.  This often lasts for years.  During this time free
> virion is virtually undetectable in the peripheral blood.  Following the
> latent phase, virus begins to spill over into the peripheral blood and
> also infects other lymphoid organs, especially the thymus.  By this time,
> the patient is nearing, or already undergoing, the full-blown AIDS stage of
> the disease.  The body seems to attempt one final assault so to speak
> through a chronic immune response due to the now widespread dissemination
> of the virus, again failing.  This may explain AIDS
> cachexia (high circulating TNF, IL-1 etc.,i.e., inflammatory cytokines)
> found during this time.

Again, viral replication in lymph nodes, spleen, and even thymus is an
ongoing event throughout HIV infection, not just late stage.  In fact,
there have been several reports of SIV replication in thymus in monkey
studies, early in infection.  In terms of virion detection, with the
rapidly advancing technologies available, it has become clear that HIV
replication is tremendous and quite detectable in peripheral blood
mononuclear cells.  Again, this is not a late stage phenomenon.  In terms
of AIDS cachexia and cytokine involvement, the late stage development of
these symptomologies may have more to due with the viral persistence in
macrophages that are disseminated throughout the body by that time.  Some
studies, in vitro albeit, have suggested that TNF provides an autocrine
loop-feedback system that promotes HIV's ability to infecte macrophages.
This may explain the late stage wasting.

> 3.  The fact is HIV does not seem to kill the cells it infects.  That is
> what recent research is uncovering.  Even in an evolutionary sense it does not
> make sense for a virus to kill its host cell- this is obviously not
> conducive to viral replication!!  In fact, the most "clever" viruses
> (e.g., adenovirus, human papillomavirus, Hepatitis B, EBV, small pox virus
> etc.) have evolved genetic elements coding for proteins that actually
> ensure cell survival by preventing apoptosis during productive
> infection!!  I predict that HIV
> will be found to do the same, we simply haven't looked hard enough at the
> problem yet.  Unfortunately, virologists are not cell biologists.  As
> AIDS is now FINALLY being recognized as an immune problem not a viral
> problem per se, and more attention (and more funding) is being paid to the
> cell biology of the problem (apoptosis etc.), I'm sure answers will be
> forthcoming.  A recent paper published in Nature Medicine actually
> found that HIV-infected T cells in lymph node follicles were
> the ones NOT undergoing apoptosis.  I think the record has to be set
> straight on this once and for all.

Although I would agree with the assertion that HIV does not appear to
kill the very cells it infects, this is tentative and by no means
conclusive yet. It remains to be seen, even in the recent studies you
have sighted in Nature Medicine (Finkel, T and Ruprecht, R et al, 1995)
their data is limited by the number of microscopic fields in which they
looked.  It would be of interest to know if we would see the same type of
occurrences in vitro with primary isolates.  I think an interesting
paper was published by Essex et al (P.N.A.S. in Oct or Nov of 1994) on
the ability of a primary macrophage tropic isolate to kill fresh PBL's in
culture.  The data there is striking, however, whether or not the
mechanisms involved are direct or indirect remain to be seen.  This is
something that we are currently working on utilizing flow cytometry and
the appropriate monoclonals.  In addition, the manner in which those
bystander T-cells were undergoing apoptosis is of extreme importance.  I
wonder if it involves the type of programmed cell death that is seen with
antigen responding cells in vitro?

>      More pertinent questions to ask are; how does HIV infect antigen
> presenting cells (APCs), the actual orchestrators of the immune response?
> What is the nature of HIV infection of dendritic cells in the lymph node
> follicles?  If HIV does not infect professional APCs very well during the
> initial course of infection, then why not?  Should a successful vaccine
> entail an attenuated virion which prefentially infects APCs for Th1
> triggering, and how can this be achieved?

I'm not much for attenuated vaccines as prophyllactic measures.  I
wouldn't take it would you??  Attenuated how?  I hope not with nef, as
Ruprecht, R. et al have already stated that even severely crippled SIV's
when injected into, interestingly enough, newborn macaques eventually
revert.  So what's the likelihood of maintaining the attenuation of HIV
in vivo?  Not much.  By the way she has said that this data will be
published some time soon in Science.  Additionally, it is not clear that
HIV does not infect professional APC's in the early stages of the
infection/disease.  In fact, it seems that HIV preferentially infects
macrophages (do they qualify as prof. APC's?) upon transmission of the
virus, a selection for which determinants have yet to be elucidated.  Yet
I would agree that the nature of dendritic cell involvement seems crucial
to AIDS pathogenesis and development.  This was presented at a recent
meeting in Baltimore, Md by Fauci as his group has been analyzing lymph
nodes from so-called non-progressors or long-term survivors. They have
found that the level of replication and tissue destruction varies
directly with the progression of the disease.
However, they have not determined what separates some people whose lymph
node cytoarchitectural organization remains intact from those whose nodes
fall apart with active viral replication.

Yes indeeed, virologists are not cell biologists but I would suggest that
they need not have to be.  It seems to me that cell biologists need to
start listening to the virologists, and the virologists definitely need
to begin to listed more acutely to the cell biologists if we are going to
make any headway with this thing.  I'm interested in your comments,
rebuttals, etc....

Chad Womack
National Centers for Infectious Diseases
Division of HIV/AIDS, Immunology Br
Atlanta, GA