diphteria vaccine

Async User ln1313 at grape.epix.net
Thu Mar 23 18:30:20 EST 1995

On 22 Mar 1995, Guylaine Rault wrote:

> I would like to know if there exists a vaccine against diphteria only without any
> association with other diseases ? It is to vacccine a child which has already got
> the tetanus and polio vaccines.

I do not know of any single toxoid diphtheria vaccine. It is combined
with tetanus to comply with childhood immunization requirements for
diphtheria nd tetanus in a single injection. There is a diphtheria
globulin antitoxin, but this would not serve as a preventive vaccine.
Unless the child has had a reaction to a previous dose of tetanus (which
would be quite unusual), why would someone want to separate the two?
Additional dosing of tetanus is part of a normal childhood schedule
anyway. I know I have not answered your question, but I am curious as to
why you would want to do that!