TH3 cells?

David Peritt Peritt_d at a1.mscf.upenn.edu
Fri Mar 24 08:46:39 EST 1995

In article <3kqfnn$s0o at decaxp.harvard.edu> derek chan,
chan4 at fas.harvard.edu writes:
>Huh?!?

I must redeem myself.  I believe there are Th2 and Th1 tendencies in CD4
T cells.  I just do not believe it is so cut and dry as the murine
leishmaniaisis data suggests.  We work in human T cells and find a
rainbow of T cells producing tons of gINF and no IL-4 all the way to tons
of IL-4 and low gIFN.  But 95% of the cells are in between.  and If you
look broader at IL4,5,6,10 etc... you see that when IL4 is high IL5 or 10
may not be and vice versa.  does this mean we have Th3 or th6 cells.
NOOOOOOO.  What we have are independently regulated cytokine genes.  Our
lab has shown for instance that gIFN is increased by IL-12
administration.  Therefore even a Th2 looking cell will make tons of gIFN
if IL-12 is added.  In that same paper we show that IL-12 added at the
time of first priming actually stabally increases IFN production-for the
life of the cell.
So, what I am saying is the following.  Don't be too dogmatic with this
Th1 vs 2 thing.  Th0 is used to explain these intermediates but it is
much messier.  I have begun to present my clonal data in linear form
assigning the clones a gINF/IL4 ratio of production.  Therefore a Th1
like cell will be a 600 and a Th2 a .3.  You get the picture.

The beauty of the immune system is not the perfectness but the slop.
Slop allows the immune system to recognize and adapt so well.  Dogma is
good to get us started and thanks to tim Mossman for that but it is time
to dive into the slop.  Pleasant swimming.