TTh1 vs Th2

Your Name jsm341 at ANIMA.NUMS.NWU.EDU
Fri Mar 24 18:53:41 EST 1995

        A previous posting concerning Th(x) profiles asked the question
"Are there any markers that delineate the Th1 subset Th2's?"  CD30(Ki-1
Antigen) may be such a marker. In recent papers published in the Journal of
Experimental Medicine and FASEB Journal by Romagnani et al, they show that
CD30 is expressed on CD8+ Th2 cells and on CD4+ Th2 cells. Romagnani et al
also postulate in a review article in the February 1995 issue of Immunology
Today, that CD3+4+30L+ and CD3+8+30L+ cells may be responsible for CD3+4+
and CD3+8+ cells undergoing apoptosis.
        As a final comment, I would like to say that we cannot ignore the
microenvironment(s) in which these T cells exist. It may be that Th subsets
are exquisitely attuned to secrete levels of X cytokine dependent depending
on a m"messy"(As David Peritt put it) cytokine gradient present
specifically in the appropriate microenvironment.

Jim Martin
Northwestern University Medical School
Department of Medicine-Section of Infectious Diseases