MMR vaccine?

Bob S. Roberson BROBERSO at MICROB.UMD.EDU
Fri Mar 24 15:49:17 EST 1995

To:            immunology at net.bio.net

To add to the following exchange:
>From:          "Charles T. Maples" <charma at u.washington.edu>
>Subject:       Re: MMR vaccine?
>Date:          Fri, 24 Mar 1995 11:13:21 -0800

>Would somebody PLEASE educate this guy!

>On 19 Mar 1995, Ron Adams wrote:

>  -=> Quoting Ken Schroeter, DO to All <=-
>

>  KSD> In article <3i7ln8$3ij at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, bartoct at aol.com
>  KSD> (BARTOCT) wrote:
>
>  > If no one gets vaccines, whether or not they are perfect, we will again be
>  > susceptible to the diseases.  Vaccines are recommended when it is deemed
>  > safer to get the vaccine than the illness.  Thus, even with imperfect
>
>         Precisely the point.  Many parents would rather have their children
>         get these diseases naturally rather than risk tampering with the
>         child's immune system and irritating the child's nervous system
>         with the harsh chemical preservatives and stabilizers in the
>         vaccines.  It's all a balance of risk.
>
>  > faccines, it is preferable to have a 1/1,000,000 risk from the vaccine,
>  > than a 1/1000 risk from the disease.  the lay public seems to have
>  > absolutely no understanding of statistical risks, and is constantly
>  > questioning public health policy because of that lack of understanding.
>
>         No, it's not lack of understanding.  It is hearing the risks and
>         facts about adverse reactions for the first time and then question-
>         ing doctors, public health officials and school personnell who
>         quite often don't know any more than the parents do.
>
>  > without vaccines, there would still be thousands of deaths per year from
>  > polio, whooping cough, and measles.
>
>    I don't think so.  Our methods of caring for children with complications
>    from naturally occurring childhood diseases are far more sophisticated
>    than in the past.  I would rather my child had whooping cough naturally
>    than expose them to the filth of the pertussis vaccine--a vaccine I
>    wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.  I would rather my child got the
>    measles naturally during childhood rather than immunosupressing the
>    child and letting them get an atypical form of the disease as an
>    adolescent or young adult.  Same goes for mumps.  90% of polio incidence
>    in the US today is caused by the live polio vaccine.
>
>    Vaccines are less reponsible for the decline of these diseases than
>    public sanitation, refrigeration and just plain clean leaving have been.
>    What no one will tell you is that all of these diseases had dramatically
>    decreased in incidence in the years preceeding any of the vaccine
>    introductions.  Good nutrition, clean living, breast feeding, natural
>    herd immunity are what will be the demise of these diseases.  Studies
>    show that vaccines may be causing as many problems as they are supposedly
>    preventing.  What about all of these strange childhood immune disorders,
>    cancers and brain disorders that were never heard of before the vaccine
>    era?
>
>  > However, the rare few complications
> [...]

The ASM News, July 1992 presented the following:

Past Max. and current morbidity from vaccine preventable diseases
                                         No. of cases
Disease                  Max.yr                 1991        %  Change
Diphtheria         206,939 ('21)               2              -99.99
Measles            894,134 ('41)            9488            -98.94
Pertussis          265,269  ('34)            2575            -99.03
Polio(paralytic)  21,269    ('52)               (a)             -99+
Rubella               57,686   ('69)            1372           -97.62
Congenital Rub.synd. 20,000 )'64-5)       36           -99+
tetanus                  1560('23) b                  49          -96.86
 a, projected vaccine assoc cases
 b, deaths only in 1923 for tetanus;cases in 1991

  The "usual childhood  diseases" are not innocuous
inconveniences without side effects.  Any pathology text
should enlighten those who think otherwise.

Perfect? No. Not yet.  but  great strides have been made.

Bob Roberson