TTh1 vs Th2

Jorg Kirberg kirberg at bii.ch
Sat Mar 25 20:05:08 EST 1995

In article <v01510101ab98f9d5495b@[165.124.227.178]>,
jsm341 at ANIMA.NUMS.NWU.EDU (Your Name) wrote:

>         A previous posting concerning Th(x) profiles asked the question
> "Are there any markers that delineate the Th1 subset Th2's?"  CD30(Ki-1
> Antigen) may be such a marker. In recent papers published in the Journal of
> Experimental Medicine and FASEB Journal by Romagnani et al, they show that
> CD30 is expressed on CD8+ Th2 cells and on CD4+ Th2 cells. Romagnani et al
> also postulate in a review article in the February 1995 issue of Immunology
> Today, that CD3+4+30L+ and CD3+8+30L+ cells may be responsible for CD3+4+
> and CD3+8+ cells undergoing apoptosis.

I do not know the actual papers, but from a seminar I remember, that
they found these correlation in people (sick ones actually), that
had some problems with allergy. If they isolated CD30+ cells (that were
actually a very very minor population) and stimulated those with the
allergen, they found (what a "surprise") that those cells made typical
TH2 cytokines.
First of all, what would you expect from these people with an allergy;
in the experiment you cant (!) make the vice versa control, as than the
precursor population is too small to see anything in the assay as the
selection for CD30 is a selection for specific cells, the ones which are
CD30- are not selected (and now I remember, if it was a seasonal
allergen the stuff does not work out of the season).