HELP!! Info on pneumovax vaccine needed

Gary C. Wheeler gawheel at
Sat Nov 11 01:26:35 EST 1995

Our pediatrician wants our child to recieve the pneumovax vaccine as a
partial deterent to frequent ear infections.  (He states a 20 to 35%
less ear infection chance if we use this vaccine.)  The permission slip
is from 1986 and states that in an otherwise healthy child ear
infections alone are NOT an indication for giving. I questioned the
nurse and she said the  MDs all agreed that current thinking has shown
it to be effective. I am a bit confused and would appreciate any
information anyone could give.
                                        THANK YOU