serum free media for hybridoma

Richard R. Hardy hardy at
Mon Nov 13 16:04:34 EST 1995

In article <dtyyu.106.00089808 at>, dtyyu at (David Tak Yan
Yu) wrote:

>I wish to culture hybridoma in serum free media to allow me to isolate the
>antibody.  Can some one recommend a U.S. manufacturer?
>David Yu

We use HB101 serum-free (not protein-free) medium from Irvine Scientific
for making our antibodies.  You may need to passage your cells in mixtures
of serum-containing/serum-free medium for several passages to "wean" them
off serum.  However, many lines just grow fine directly in HB101. Good
Richard R. Hardy                       Member, Institute for Cancer Research
Fox Chase Cancer Center                Tel:    (215) 728-2463
7701 Burholme Ave.                     FAX:    (215) 728-2412
Philadelphia, PA 19111                 E-MAIL: R_HARDY at