'dural tension'

Lon Morgan lmorgan at primenet.com
Sun Nov 12 04:38:28 EST 1995

In article <47pekk$7cn at fcnews.fc.hp.com> jeanie at fc.hp.com (Jeanie Sumrall) writes:

>I was talking with a chiropractor today about some symptoms a friend is
>experiencing (posterior neck spasms, severe tension and migraine
>headaches, severe dizziness - all made worse by chiropractic adjustments)
>and he mentioned that "dural tension" could be the cause of all those
>symptoms.

>Does anyone know exactly what "dural tension" is and what physiological
>effects it has on the body?

As a chiropractor I am exposed to this theory a lot.  It seems to have
originiated, in part, from a chiro college in Georgia.  Basically, their
approach claims a small dentate ligament in the upper cervical spine attaches
to the dura (outer meninges).   Through an arcane and awkward explanation of
neuroanatomy this is supposed to cause various ailments which can be relieved
by spinal adjustments.

IMHO, this idea is totally without merit and has not been established in any
credible way by anyone.  As a chiropractor I feel our services can be of great
benefit, but it is not in our interest, nor in the public's interest to
promote ideas such as 'dural tension' that have little or no basis in fact.

I suggest getting a different chiropractor, one capable of making a thorough
and competent physical examination to determine whether chiropractic care is
indicated, or whether the patient should be referred.

Best Wishes,
Lon Morgan, DC
lmorgan at primenet.com