EBOLA in England?

Graeme Price g.e.price at bham.ac.uk
Tue Oct 3 04:27:21 EST 1995

In article <44pp86$dua$1 at mhade.production.compuserve.com>, lee
<102504.577 at CompuServe.COM> wrote:

> I heard that there was a contained outbreak of Ebola in England
> around the time of the latest african outbreak. I don't believe
> that anyone died and the source was an Italian news ajency. Here
> in america there was nothing about this in the national press.
> If anyone out there has real information about this, quite scairy,
> information please e-mail me or post info to the newsgroup. Thanks
> much. Lee

Dredging the depths of my memory, I recall that back in May there was a
brief media storm (on the flimsiest evidence) in the UK, when it emerged
that a lady recently returned from Zaire had been admitted to London
hospital. It transpired that she wasn't suffering Ebola, and had a
bacterial diarrhoeal illness. As far as I know, the only case of Ebola in
the UK was in 1976 in a lab tech at Poton Down (the Government Chemical
and Biological Defence Establishment) who accidentally injected himself
with the Sudan strain. He was isolated and made a full recovery.

Graeme

--
Graeme Price
Microbial Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology Group,

Tel. (+44) (0)121 414 6555
Fax. (+44) (0)121 414 6557
E-mail g.e.price at bham.ac.uk