isohemagglutinins/Blood transfusion

Robertson Davenport rddvnprt at
Wed Oct 4 07:11:12 EST 1995

balpat at (Balpat) wrote:
>Can anyone explain to me the origin of isohemagglutinin antibodies
>(Anti-A, Anti-B)? Are they always IgM isotype? Why don't the B cells
>producing the isohemagglutininis undergo class switching to another
Naturally occurring anti-A and anti-B isohemagglutinins are made in
response to A-like and B-like polysaccharide antigens on environmental

Isohemaggultinins may be IgM, IgG, or IgA. Most individuals have a
mixture of IgG and IgM, but virtually any combination may be seen.

For more infromation see: Mollison. Blood Transfusion in Clinical
Medicine. 9th ed. Blackwell Scientific Publications

Robertson D. Davenport, MD
Assistant Professor                    Associate Medical Director
Department of Pathology                Blood Bank and Transfusion Service
University of Michigan Medical School  University of Michigan Hospitals
rddvnprt at