isohemagglutinins/Blood transfusion

Robertson Davenport rddvnprt at umich.edu
Wed Oct 4 07:11:12 EST 1995

balpat at aol.com (Balpat) wrote:
>Can anyone explain to me the origin of isohemagglutinin antibodies
>(Anti-A, Anti-B)? Are they always IgM isotype? Why don't the B cells
>producing the isohemagglutininis undergo class switching to another
>isotype?
>
>JP
Naturally occurring anti-A and anti-B isohemagglutinins are made in
response to A-like and B-like polysaccharide antigens on environmental
bacteria.

Isohemaggultinins may be IgM, IgG, or IgA. Most individuals have a
mixture of IgG and IgM, but virtually any combination may be seen.

For more infromation see: Mollison. Blood Transfusion in Clinical
Medicine. 9th ed. Blackwell Scientific Publications

--
Robertson D. Davenport, MD
Assistant Professor                    Associate Medical Director
rddvnprt at umich.edu