FACS--what is it?

Julian SO apathy at cs.mcgill.ca
Tue Oct 3 19:42:49 EST 1995

rather silly question, but here goes. i was reading an article on b
cell subpopulations ('conventional b cells', b-1a cells, b-1b cells),
and there was extensive mention on the use of FACS as a means of
distinguising and/or segregating lymphocyte types and subtypes. can
someone email me an answer as to what FACS is? i have a feeling that
it's some sort of fluorescent assay, but that's all i have to go on.

thnx in advance
julian
--
	Ask me about Aggressive Gerbil fanzine and Radio KGLS monthly.
     	     Julian So, 3787 Clark, Montreal, PQ, Canada, H2W 1W4.
  Finger me for more info on AggroDiscoDistro, or write bkkh at music.mcgill.ca
	Or see us on the web at http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~apathy/ag.html