Allergy to Fragrances

Betty Bridges bcb56 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 3 21:25:29 EST 1995

In <44r5gc$ilj at ixnews5.ix.netcom.com> bcb56 at ix.netcom.com (Betty
Bridges ) writes:

>I developed a severe allergy to something found in many fragrances.
Do
>not think it is the "scent" part of the fragrance as I do not react to
>a particular "smell".  This ingredient is found in products ranging
>from household cleaners to personal care products.
>
>My reaction is almost instant.  I go into severe asthma.  If exposure
>is more than very brief I also have swelling, fatigue, drop in BP, and
>muscle/joint aches.  At this point is I cannot work a public job and
am
>at risk any time I go out in public.
>
>Medically little has been offered that helps other than avoidance.  I
>am looking for information on ingredients in fragrances.  I am also
>looking for any information on treatments that are available.

Guess I didn't give enough info.  I have been to an allergist and had
allergy tests (there is no test available for fragrances)  I have
asthma only in connection with exposure to fragrances.  Antihistamines
help only slightly...give me 30 seconds before I react rather than the
usual less than 5.  Steroid inhalers and Intal inhaler helped until
they started irritating. I use a RotoCap inhaler for acute attacks.

The doctors have no idea what it is in fragrances that set me off. But
whatever it is can be found even in unscented products that contain
"masking fragrance".  All companies have to do is list fragrance in the
ingredient list when in reality a "fragrance" may contain up to 200
different chemicals according to the FDA.  These ingredients have no
restrictions on them and do not have to be tested or approved before
use.  I am collecting lots of interesting tidbits of information as I
research this.  Anyone interested can e-mail me for further info.  Very
little research has been done on the subject (at least that I can
find).

So if anyone knows of specific ingredients used in fragrances please
E-mail me.

Thanks
Betty