APC targeted Ag: can it direct Th1 or Th2 responses

M. Doherty M_Doherty at NIH.gov
Thu Oct 5 10:07:34 EST 1995

In article <ralph.1163234304E at 128.196.137.12>, ralph at ccit.arizona.edu (R M
Bernstein) wrote:

> I was thinking along the lines of "
>
>     Authors
> *
>     Kuchroo VK.  Das MP.  Brown JA.  Ranger AM.  Zamvil SS.  Sobel RA.
Weiner *
>     HL.  Nabavi N.  Glimcher
LH.                                               *

Institution
*
>     Department of Neurology, Harvard Medical School, Boston,
Massachusetts     *

02115.
*

Title
*
>     B7-1 and B7-2 costimulatory molecules activate differentially the
Th1/Th2  *
>     developmental pathways: application to autoimmune disease
therapy.         *

Source
*
>     Cell.  80(5):707-18, 1995 Mar
10.                                          *
>    MeSH Subject Headings
>

> This immediately made me consider if b71 b72 could then be used as markers.
> If they are on the cells that they stimulate, then they would conceivable
> stay expressed on those cells while expressing a th1 th2 phenotype.  Any
ideas?

> Regards, Ralph
>
> Ralph M. Bernstein

Oh, OK, I see.  There are two problems with that - B7.1 and B7.2 are
expressed on the APC, rather than the cells stimulated, which bind either
of these molecules through CD28.  The second problem is that these markers
fluctuate - macrophages are normally devoid (or nearly so - even that is
controversial) of B7.1.  However activation can cause it to be
upregulated.  Regulation of B7.2 also occurrs, so they don't seem to be
ideal markers for cell types.  Of course as we learn more about
distribution/role of these molecules they may become useful stage-specific
markers for certain cell types.

Cheers, Mark