filovirus mutations?

John Torin Huzil HUZIL at upanet.uleth.ca
Thu Oct 5 00:47:33 EST 1995

I would like some help with a question from my medical anthropology class
about the movie Outbreak?
Question:
   According to the U.S. Army and C.D.C. experts in the film, the
filovirus mutates to an airborne form in the host monkey between the time
that Jimbo is infected and the petshop owner is infected.  A rhesus monkey
in the petshop is infected with the original virus.  What is wrong with
this scenario?
   Also the film assumes that merely finding the host guarantees finding
an anti-serum for the disease.  Is that assumption supported by the known
cases of simian herpes or trypanosomiasis?  Which would be the better
analogy and why?
   In addition I have a problem with part of her question.  If the virus
mutated to an airborne form in the monkey then why didn't it infect the
little girl at the end?  I think the question is wrong.  Can anyone help?
                                 Thanks.  Please e-mail me any replies