paramagnetic beads that can be used for flow cytometry?

R M Bernstein ralph at
Fri Oct 6 21:48:52 EST 1995

In Article <antibody-0610952213470001 at>, antibody at
(antibody) wrote:
>In article <mrtour-2809951056460001 at>,
>mrtour at,dburtrum at (michelle or
>doug......) wrote:
>> I am trying to positively select for a cell population by paramagnetic
>> beads and antibody staining....I use Dynabeads by Dynal...the big problem
>> is that the beads fluoresce by themselves on all 3 fluoresce channels....
>> does anyone know of paramagnetic beads which can be used in flow cytometry
>> because they don't fluoresce by themselves?
>> thanks
>Dear Michelle
>I thought the 'mini' beads from MACS (10nm diameter) are compatible
>to flow cytometry.
>I dont remember the exact name of the company, but they advertised
>a lot in Immunology Today, and are located in Bergisch-Gladbach in
>Germany. You should be able to locate them with this information.
>BTW - I even think that Beckton Dickinson is distributing their
>stuff meanwhile. Their magnet is quite expensive, but that you
>can use also for the dynabeads and it is much faster - sometimes
>even too fast - it might stripp the dynabeads of the cells (leaving
>the antibody on the cells which get positive for everything you put
>on them later. However, in small tubes it works fine with dynabeads.

its Miltenyi Biotec GmbH, Friedrich-Ebert-Str. 68, 51429 Bergisch Gladbach,
Germany , ph 02204-80 96  or in the us, 1250 Oakmead Park Suite 210,
Sunnyvale CA 94088-3599 USA, 408-730-6838

whew, thats typing.
regards, ralph

Ralph M. Bernstein
Dept of Micro/Immuno