Uses of mAbs in studying cytology

Joy Abramson ad954 at torfree.net
Wed Oct 11 19:38:51 EST 1995

    I'm a student doing a project on using Monoclonal Antibodies as a
method of cell study.  A few weeks ago I posted a message asking for
people to explain monoclonal antibodies to me.  Thanks to everybody
who replied!

    I've done some research now, and I had a hard time finding answers
to the following questions.  Most of the information I could find
related to treating cancer and things with monoclonal antibodies,
which is not what I need.  I'd very much appreciate if people could
help me out with these questions:

What are specific uses of mAbs in studying cells?

What aspects of cytology are mAbs particularly good for studying?

What is the contribution that mAbs have made to cytology?

How do you use mAbs to find a specific cell in the body?

Assuming you can use mAbs that have been made fluorescent to find very
small things, why would you want to do this?, and what can be done
with it?

Thanks a lot,

Joy Abramson
ad954 at torfree.net