AIDS saliva test

Graeme Price g.e.price at bham.ac.uk
Sat Oct 14 05:40:20 EST 1995

In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.951012192337.11050A-100000 at beta.loyno.edu>,
addavis at BETA.LOYNO.EDU (Scott Davis) wrote:

> First off, I can tell that you are a salesman and not a scientist.  Such
> a test is not in existence.  How would this work?!  I think you might
> work on something else.
>
> Scott

In actual fact there is a test for anti-HIV antibodies in saliva. In a lab
I was working in a few years back we were asked to assess this for an
insurance company, although I wasn't directly involved in this. As I
recall the test worked, but I don't know anything about the sensitivity or
what became of it. I do remember that the testee had to chew on a cotton
wool swab for about 10 minutes to get enough saliva though...

Graeme

--
Graeme Price
Microbial Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology Group,

Tel. (+44) (0)121 414 6555
Fax. (+44) (0)121 414 6557
E-mail g.e.price at bham.ac.uk