AIDS saliva test

Graeme Price g.e.price at
Sat Oct 14 05:40:20 EST 1995

In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.951012192337.11050A-100000 at>,
addavis at BETA.LOYNO.EDU (Scott Davis) wrote:

> First off, I can tell that you are a salesman and not a scientist.  Such
> a test is not in existence.  How would this work?!  I think you might
> work on something else.
> Scott

In actual fact there is a test for anti-HIV antibodies in saliva. In a lab
I was working in a few years back we were asked to assess this for an
insurance company, although I wasn't directly involved in this. As I
recall the test worked, but I don't know anything about the sensitivity or
what became of it. I do remember that the testee had to chew on a cotton
wool swab for about 10 minutes to get enough saliva though...

Graeme Price
Microbial Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology Group,
School of Biological Sciences, Biology West Building,
University of Birmingham,
Edgbaston, Birmingham,
West Midlands, B15 2TT.
United Kingdom.