ferret immunity

Marie C BENE bene at grip.u-nancy.fr
Sun Oct 15 11:06:53 EST 1995

Does anyone know about the immune system of ferrets and/or ways to cure these cute
little things from Salmonella infections that threaten their liver. I had an anguished phone
call from a ferret's breeder whose pets got infected in a "ferret-kennel" (whatever this
might be). She says she has tried all sorts of antibiotics but the bacteria seem to be
resistant and she thought perhaps triggering the immune system would work. She
however fears to use bovine anti-serum to salmonellae in case this leads to serum
sickness. I was quite unable to help her, but perhaps the net could. Thank you for your
answers.

MC B