MHC on muscle fibers

Paul J Travers travers at
Tue Oct 17 06:19:24 EST 1995

In article <45uoue$8v0 at>, LSCCLAB
<lscclab at> wrote:

> What would be the advantage for muscle fibers top not express MHCs?

   I'm not sure I know the answer but let me raise another question.
Muscle is syncytial:  what happens when you induce apoptosis in a
syncytium?  Do all the nuclei fragment?  Only those closest to the site of
induction (if induced by CTL)?  Does anyone know?  Has anyone looked (ie
down the microscope) at killing in systems where syncytia are formed
(Sendai?  Respiratory Syncytial Virus?)?

               Paul Travers

Paul J Travers                  phone : +44-(0)171-631-6862 (office)
ICRF Structural Biology Unit     "       "        "    6868 (lab)
Birkbeck College                   fax : +44-(0)71-631-6803
Malet Street
London WC1E 7HX          email :  travers at
England                  or :      paul at