software for densitometry using a scanner?

M. Doherty M_Doherty at NIH.gov
Wed Oct 18 14:40:36 EST 1995

In article <199510180915.CAA28140 at net.bio.net>, dmullins at vt.edu (David W.
Mullins) wrote:

> Does anyone know of a software package, either for Mac or IBM, that will
> allow one to scan an image--for example, a photograph of an ethidium stained
> gel--and then perform densitometry calculations?  I would like to have a
> quantitative assessment of RT-PCR product, using the equipment I have at hand.
>
> Any suggestions--software or alternative methods that have worked well for
> you--will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
> David W. Mullins, Ph.D. Student

Two suggestions - I believe that NIHimage (available free from the NIH's
web site) can do this.  Alternatively, Adobe Photoshop works fine (this is
what I use).  The latter is not free, but it's easy to use and since I own
a copy anyway.....

Cheers, Mark