HIV-1 Adaptation to host/various musings

Ian A. York york at mbcrr.dfci.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 20 08:28:14 EST 1995

In article <4682iq$cv9 at ipgate.le.ac.uk>, A.J.Cann <nna at le.ac.uk> wrote:

>Have to comment on this. The key phrases here are "adapt to their hosts" &
>"mortality rate of well over 99.99999%" (do you mean 100% - not true;
>99.9% would be more accurate). Snag is that humans are not the natural

I mean neither 99.9% nor 100%.  Last time I checked on this, I think I
found 5 examples of people surviving rabies following onset of clinical
signs.  Since I also found (last easy-to-find number was 1985) that at
least 20,000 people per year die of rabies, I think my 99.99999% is
pretty accurate - certainly more accurate than 99.9%.  Moreover, I think
I recall seeing in ProMed that the 5th known survivor is now suspected to
have been infected by a related lyssavirus, rather than rabies itself.
Do you have a reference for your 99.9%?

>host of rabies virus - they are dead end hosts who do not play a
>significant part in the transmission of the virus over "thousands of
>years". Hence each human infection is essentially a new event & the virus
>does not have chance to "adapt to it's host" in evolutionary terms.

Can you name *any* species which survivies rabies infection?  The
prevalent belief that bats can have persistent infection (again this is
as of the last time I checked) seems to be wrong; they simply don't die
quite as fast as other species.

Ian

--
Ian York   (york at mbcrr.harvard.edu)
Phone (617)-632-3921     Fax  (617)-632-2627