macrophage half-life

Gail Sullivan gws3u at GALEN.MED.VIRGINIA.EDU
Tue Oct 24 07:14:37 EST 1995

> Does anyone out there have any data on the half-life of tissue
> macrophages? We've found the usual stuff on neutrophils and circulating
> monocytes (half-lives of a few days... or hours depending on which text
> you believe) but there doesn't seem to be much data on macrophages.

The key seems to be in the word "tissue".  So how about other tissue
leukocytes, such as tissue eosinophils and mast cells?  Since the life of
PMN can be prolonged by cytokines in the tissues, this might help to
explain the differences in observed survival times for these cells.

-Gail

Gail W. Sullivan                e-mail: gws3u at virginia.edu
University of Virginia
Office (804) 924-9665/9667