Peptide conjugation efficiency

George A. Heavner gheavner at omni.voicenet.com
Thu Oct 26 16:10:38 EST 1995

Amino acid analysis can be used to determine the degree of peptide conjugation
to a carrier protein.  The best numbers can be obtained if you incorporate an
unnatural amino acid (e.g. Nle) into the peptide.  This makes determination of
coupling efficiency easy.  If the coupling technique covalently modifies an
amino acid with a non-hydrolyzable linkage (e.g. addition to a cysteine), this
modified amino acid can be used in quantitation.  Incorporation of a
chromophore with a unique absorption wavelength could also be used in
quantitation.

George A. Heavner, Ph.D.
Senior Director, Peptide R&D
Centocor, Inc.