sensitization to chemicals

Jim Kohl jkohl at vegas.infi.net
Sat Aug 3 02:24:17 EST 1996

In article <4ttvg8$goq at dfw-ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>, bcb56 at ix.netcom.co
says...

>But what about asthmatic reactions to specific chemicals?   There are a
>few people that have almost instant reactions to exposure to chemicals
>they have been sensitized to.   Doesn't it take a least several minutes
>for an immune response to occur, even immediate types?

A fraction of mammalian gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) appears to
act directly as a neurotransmitter, thus producing immediate short term
effects. However, GnRH also acts via its control of gonadotropin
secretion from the pituitary and affects steroidogenesis, which could
indirectly alter neurotrasmission via effects on synaptogenesis,
synaptolysis, and apoptosis. Evidence that human pheromones alter
gonadotropin secretion (most likely via their effect on GnRH) will be
published soon. This evidence (e.g., Berliner et al (1996) Journal of
Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, in press) suggests a role for
pheromones in neuroimmunology via the GnRH linkage.

Perhaps someone will elaborate on the role of GnRH in immunology; I am
not qualified to do so.

Jim Kohl
http://www.pheromones.com
not a neuroimmunologist