sensitization to chemicals

Steve Emerson semerson at teleport.com
Sat Aug 3 22:01:29 EST 1996

David Parker (parkerd at ohsu.edu) wrote:
: I don't know how the sensitization might be modulated by MAO etc., but the
: underlying process is that contact sensitivity to chemicals is an immune
: response mediated by T cells.  Certain chemicals and metal ions bind to
: histocompatibility antigens or to self peptides bound to
: histocompatibility antigens in such a way to make them look foreign to T
: lymphocytes, and provoke an immune reponse.  The T cells release
: inflammatory cytokines that cause the pathology.

Then how do you explain various neurological symptoms upon
exposure, i.e. crying bursts, panic attacks, bursts of
rage, depression, memory/thinking problems, dizziness, drowsiness,
and seizures?  Why do I suffer dopamine deficits after
exposure, and why is sensitivity increased afer exposure?
Why do people become chemically sensitive after withdrawing
from tobacco, alcohol, or various foods?  Can you account
for this? The neurotransmitter deficiency hypothesis can.

I recommend that anyone trying to explain chemical hypersensitivity
read Theron Randolph's literature on the exposure-withdrawl pattern
and the allergy-addiction connection.  I believe the neurotransmitter
deficiency hypothesis explains much of Randolph's findings.

On the asthma example, I believe it can be explained by an acute
dopamine deficit upon chemical exposure, causing the spasm.  Many
of us suffer other kinds of spasm upon exposure, i.e. muscle
spasm.

If the serotonin and dopamine levels are normal and balanced,
there won't BE an immunological response nor a neurological
response to the chemicals.  I've experienced this first hand.
Increasing the levels and bringing them into balance decreases
sensitivity, and degrading the levels increases the sensitivity.
Lastly, neurotransmitter degradation upon exposure thereupon increases
the sensitivity, i.e. neurotransmitter degradation upon exposure
increases the susceptibility to further neurotransmitter degradation
upon exposure, i.e. the person reacts to more chemicals and
lower concentrations are required to produce a reaction.

This is a layman's conclusion based upon my own first-hand
experiences with chemical sensitivity and serotonin/dopamine
agonists.

Steve
--

semerson at teleport.COM  Public Access User -- Not affiliated with Teleport