Tetrazoium salt based viability/toxicity assays

B.Lorenzen u70z1da at lrz-muenchen.de
Tue Aug 6 17:44:32 EST 1996

Justin Halls <Justin.Halls at brunel.ac.uk> writes:

>We have a somewhat unusual requirement to perform a fully automated
>mammalian cell viability assessment following thawing from -80C and we
[..]

I am using WST-1 for measurement of PMNs for some time now. I am highly
pleased with it. WST-1 has some distinct advantages over other
Tetrazolium salts like MTT and XTT e.g.:

- there`s no need to solublize WST-1 after it has been cleaved by viable
cells.

- WST-1 is more stable than MTT and XTT and can be stored longer without
degradation

- WST-1 has a wider linear range and shows accelerated color development

It is available through Boehringer Mannheim, Germany. Btw. I`m not linked
in any way with this company.

B. Lorenzen
Pneumological Department, Klinikum Grosshadern, Munich, Germany