discontinuation of intra-H-2 recombinants

George Carlson gac at MRI8.MRI.MONTANA.EDU
Wed Aug 7 20:06:00 EST 1996

Most of the intra-H-2 recombinant B10 congenic strains developed by the
late Dr. Jack Stimpfling of McLaughlin Research Institute will be
discontinued as live stock in the near future. Following Dr. Stimpfling's
retirement, a grant from the American Cancer Society allowed us to complete
isolation of his more recently identified recombinant chromosomes, to
refine localization of the crossover sites within H-2, to delimit the
congenic intervals for each strain, and to preserve the strains for future
use.  We are now in the final stage of this project and expect to have all
strains frozen before January 1997. DNA samples will continue to be
available.

The strains are listed in:
Turner et al. Meiotic recombination within the H-2K--H-2D interval:
characterization of a panel of congenic mice, including 12 new strains,
using DNA markers. Immunogenetics 1993, 38:332-340.

Additional data on our congenic panel are being prepared for publication.

Breeding pairs are available for any investigator who requests them. We
only ask that investigators who "adopt" a strain make it available to
others in the community and provide notification if they stop the line.

I will provide a listing of the strains that we will continue as live stock
after we get a better idea of interest.  Please let me know if you need any
of these mice. Suggestions of other appropriate lists for posting this
notice would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

George A. Carlson (gac at po.mri.montana.edu)
McLaughlin Research Institute