Student Information

Caro Field Carolyn.Field at path.utas.edu.au
Tue Aug 13 23:20:28 EST 1996

In article <Pine.HPP.3.95.960813154754.9543A-100000 at marian.creighton.edu>,
"N. Hamilton" <scarlett at creighton.edu> wrote:

> I am a student doing research for an Informative Oratory. A while back I
> saw a special on TV about how our bodies are starting to become immune to
> antibiotics, due to their common usage.

The issue is not that the body is becoming immune to antibiotics, but that
the microorganisms that cause disease are becoming resistant to the
antibiotics, due to overuse, leading to preferential selection for
survival and breeding of resistant strains.

If you ask about antibiotic resistance in a group like
bionet.microbiology, or search a database such as Medline or Current
Contents, using 'antibiotic resistance' as a starting point, you should
find more information than you could fit into a year's worth of oratories.

cheers,

cAro
--
Carolyn.Field at path.utas.edu.au           Division of Pathology
                                         University of Tasmania

     "Medical research - bringing health to life in Tasmania"
            (Medical Research Week: June 3 - 7, 1996)