Caprylic Acid Isolation of mAb

Frederick Garbrecht fgarbrec at lac.jci.tju.edu
Sun Aug 18 08:51:31 EST 1996

F. Morgan Wallace wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone has successfully used a caprylic acid based procedure
> to isolate monoclonals. It seems like it would be easier and cheaper than
> affinity chromatography. Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Morgan Wallace
> fmorgan at nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu

The caprylic acid method works in much the same was as an ammonium
sulfate precipitation, i.e. by selective precipitation of the
contaminant proteins (in the case of NH4SO4) or of the antibody
(caprylate).  If all you need is a first pass purification step, then
either precipitation method may work for you.  If you need a highly
purified antibody preparation, then you still probably need additional
chromatographic separation methods, like affinity columns.

Hope this helps,

Fred