MHC friendly textbook

Michael S. Marks MarksM at MAIL.MED.UPENN.EDU
Wed Aug 21 10:49:47 EST 1996

I am teaching a 2hr lecture on MHC genetics to PhD and MD-PhD graduate
students, and I have been unsuccessful in my search for a good
textbook chapter that adequately covers MHC genetics from both a
historical and molecular perspective.  We are using the Janeway text
which does a great job with the molecular details, but gives no
background on history (Ir genes, congenic strains, HLA serology,
transplantation genetics, etc.) or key techniques (e.g. MLR).  I have
also checked out the Bill Paul text, which does a great job on all of
these subjects, but is a little bit too detailed and long for my
liking.  Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Michael S. Marks, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
277 John Morgan Building
36th and Hamilton Walk
Philadelphia PA  19104-6082
Phone: 215-898-3204