MHC friendly textbook

David L. Haviland, Ph.D. haviland at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU
Wed Aug 21 13:47:56 EST 1996

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Michael S. Marks wrote:

> I am teaching a 2hr lecture on MHC genetics to PhD and MD-PhD graduate
> students, and I have been unsuccessful in my search for a good
> textbook chapter that adequately covers MHC genetics from both a
> historical and molecular perspective.  We are using the Janeway text
> which does a great job with the molecular details, but gives no
> background on history (Ir genes, congenic strains, HLA serology,
> transplantation genetics, etc.) or key techniques (e.g. MLR).  I have
> also checked out the Bill Paul text, which does a great job on all of
> these subjects, but is a little bit too detailed and long for my
> liking.  Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Mike:

I like to think I can help here but it won't be in one encompassing book...

For the molecular view, I'd suggest that you look at Abbas' book.

For more history, there are only two books that do this well IMNSHO..
1) William R. Clark's book "Experimental Foundations in Immunology"
(title to that effect) is a very well written book that delves into the
history.

2) Edward S. Golub's "Cellular Basis of Immune Response" (title to that
effect) dives deeply into the experimental and genetic approach about how
Ir genes were first characterized as well as also providing a historical
approach of immunology.

Abbas *ought* to be in your bookstore... the other two should likely be
in your libarary...

Hope this helps,
David
+  David L. Haviland, Ph.D.      .***.           .***.   .***.        +
+  Washington Univ. School of Med  | | *       * | | | * | | | *      +
+  Dept. of Peds./Pulm. Box 8116  *| | | *   * | | | *   * | | | *    +
+  One Children's Place            * | | | * | | | *       * | | | *  +
+  St. Louis, MO  63110              '***'   '***'           '***'    +
+  Internet:"haviland at kids.wustl.edu"                                 +
+  Voice: 314-454-2285  FAX: 314-454-2476                             +
+   Life is like a bowl of stew, you need to stir things up once      +
+       in a while so that the scum doesn't rise to the top.          +