PCR detection of HLA alleles

Wed Aug 28 21:56:40 EST 1996

In article <robin_beech-2808960958140001 at news.mcgill.ca>,
Robin Beech <robin_beech at maclan.mcgill.ca> wrote:
>Does anybody have information, or possibly a review, of using PCR based
>HLA allele identification?
>
>Robin Beech
>Institute of Parasitology
>McGill University

	The 12th International Histocompatibility Workshop (held just
last year, I think) put together a huge, comprehensive HLA Class I
SSP ARMS-PCR typing kit.  They have eighty-two standard primer mixes
that are used to identify motifs in most of the common HLA-A, B, and C
alleles.  You'll need a 96-well format PCR machine to run it.

	You can contact the group responsible for preparing and distrib-
uting these kits at the following address:

	Tissue Antigen Laboratory
	Imperial Cancer Research Fund
	44, Lincoln's Inn Fields
	London WC2A 3PX
	United Kingdom
	FAX (44) 171-831-6786

	I think that similar typing methods exist for HLA Class II, but
that's out of my expertise.

>PS no one had any information on identifying ABO blood groups by PCR in
>response to my earlier post

	Perhaps this is because the genes responsible for generating the
alternative oligosaccharide structures have not been cloned?  Just a
guess.

--
Unique ID : Ladasky, John Joseph Jr.
Title     : BA Biochemistry, U.C. Berkeley, 1989  (Ph.D. perhaps 1998???)