staining for lymph nodes

David B Paul dpaul at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Thu Aug 29 14:49:11 EST 1996

I remember being taught as a graduate student that one could find lymph nodes
in a rat (or mouse, or.....) by injecting India ink or any of a number of vital
dyes, then waiting for the carbon (or dye) to get concentrated in the lymph
nodes.  Unfortunately, I can't find a protocol for this.  Does anyone know
where I could find such a protocol?

Right now I'm planning on using this just to develop the surgical technique for
lymph node isolation from rats (so far I've discovered they're _really_tiny_
and tough for a novice such as myself to find, that's why I want to use the
stain).  However, would it be possible to actually use this staining technique
in my experiment?  Specifically, is there a dye I could use that would help me
visualize the lymph nodes of a rat following immunization (thereby making them
easier to isolate) yet not interfere with the functional studies of the lymph
node lymphocytes?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

David B. Paul II, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow
The Ohio State University
Department of Pathology